Citygarden is a three-acre, two block sculpture garden that opened to the public on July 1, 2009. Donated by the Gateway Foundation to the City of St. Louis, the Garden is free and open to the public at all hours, unbound by perimeter fences or gates, and contains no signs prohibiting the touching of sculpture.
The design derives from the cultural and natural histories of St. Louis and its environs. Acknowledging its position in the heart of the Gateway Mall a few blocks west of the noble Arch and the Mississippi River, the Garden is structured in three precincts delineated by two walls. The northern precinct represents the river bluffs and is most urban in character. The café is located here. The middle precinct represents the low floodplain. The southern precinct represents the cultivated river terraces with its lush gardens. The most pronounced design gesture is a 550-foot long arcing wall of Missouri limestone that defines the edge between the urban precinct and the grassy ‘floodplain’. Evoking the geologically expressive bends and bluffs of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, the wall is constructed of 1200 blocks of locally quarried stone. More information here: http://www.citygardenstl.org/. Joint venture with Studio│Durham Architects, St. Louis, MO.